Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My Life As a Rock Climb...

At the end of each session of CTC, as part of their reflections on their experiences in the program, each girl creates a tale using rock climbing as a metaphor for perseverance through struggles in their lives. Here are some of the stories read at graduation from the third session of CTC:

"My life is a rock climb. As I climb this everlasting rock, I notice I am not perfect, I can only be me. I fall sometimes as I make it through the rough parts reassessing. I can do it! I am me. As I climb and learn, I grow in many ways, stronger and smarter. Sometimes when I can’t find any foot or hand holds I take a deep breath and think of a different way up. I adapt. Occasionally, I rappel into the depths of the earth. I lean back and breathe, knowing how far I’ve come. Some days I say this is enough, I come down the monstrous mountain I was about to climb knowing I am only me!"

"As I start up the wall, these are my first steps. I start to get cocky so I fall but my dad down below is belaying me and my mom, the backup belayer, is there for me also. I have my cheerleaders there too-my brother and my uncle. When I get to a tricky spot it’s like a time in your life when it feels like you can’t do it. As I hear my belayer start to talk I feel like they aren’t paying attention like when you feel like the people in your life are supposed to support you and they are not. As I reach the top, it feels like I can take on the world. And that is my life as a rock climb."


"My life is like a rock climb because I go through a lot of stuff and when I fall my mom’s always there to catch me like an ATC. And my sisters are my back up belayers. I go higher and higher because first I started off as a baby child, teenager, and now a mother, and soon an adult and when I climb I reach for other rocks to pull myself up on to reach different heights. I also learn from my mistakes like when I go rock climbing I look to stick my foot in and if there’s not a hold around, next time when I rock climb I know that there’s not a rock there."

No comments: